What are beetles?
Beetles are a common pest that invades homes in and around Ogden, UT. In addition to common ground beetles, stink bugs are one of the most common types of beetles that enter homes and cause problems for Ogden homeowners.
Beetles and stink bugs are two examples of insects that live in large populations across the United States. When living outside, neither really poses any dangers to people, but they become unwelcome pests when they decide to move into our homes.
Beetles have a distinct look; their rigid outer wings meet at the middle of their back and form a line. Some beetles have an oval dome shape while others have a more flattened, elongated appearance.
Adult boxelder bugs are ½ inch in length and are black in color with red markings on their wings and behind their head. Boxelder bugs have an elongated, oval body with black coloration and a vibrant orange color outlining their wings.
Frequently asked questions
When in our homes, beetles are more of a danger than stink bugs. The biggest issue with stink bugs is the offensive odor they emit as a means of defense. Depending on the species, some beetles are just nuisance pests, but others can cause damage to wooden structures, contaminate food, or damage personal items like rugs, clothing, and upholstered furniture.
Beetles and stink bugs sometimes move inside in things like boxes, plants, or other items being moved into a home, and other times they move inside on their own to escape harsh weather conditions. Whatever the reason for their presence, the fact remains that they do not belong in our homes.
There are a number of common factors that attract beetles and stink bugs to certain properties, including:
– Presence of fruit trees or budding plants they feed on
– Excess food or drink left uncovered
– Failing to clean up spills immediately
– Leaving food or crumbs outside after large gatherings
– Leaving lights on, especially standard white bulbs
– Moisture problems within or around your home
If any of these problems become apparent around your home, it’s only a matter of time before beetles and stink bugs pick up on them.
Beetles are active at night and usually spend their days under leaf piles, wood piles, and rocks. They are not good climbers, so they’re typically found near the ground.
If beetles and stink bugs have started becoming a problem around your home, don’t wait: contact the Ogden pest control professionals here at Peak Pest Control for immediate help. No matter the size or scope of your beetle or stink bug infestation, we have all the tools to give your property a complete and thorough treatment that eliminates them completely. Contact us today for all the details.
In addition to our professional home pest control treatments, use the following tips to keep beetles and stink bugs from finding their way into your home.
– Caulk cracks in your home’s foundation and exterior walls
– Replace damaged or missing screens
– Repair holes along the roofline and replace missing or damaged roof shingles
– Place weather-stripping around windows and doors
– Place mesh covers over vents leading into your home
– Light attracts stink bugs and adult beetles; replace white outdoor lightbulbs with yellow or LED lights
– Inspect boxes, plants, and the like for hitchhiking insects before bringing them into your home